Saturday, August 04, 2007

WinHTTP Web Proxy - Hack or Bug or?

Hmm. I logged in to review my logs today and saw a lot of errors surrounding this particular service, which to my knowledge is not be started or run by anything I expect or want to be running on my server:

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service depends on the DHCP Client service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

A proxy can be used to forward requests to one server to another server - so has this service been exploited somehow to forward requests to our web site to some other server?

I hope someone at Microsoft can look into and resolve why this is happening and write a patch so that this service is only run when explicitly requested. I don't quite see why it should be required.