Monday, August 06, 2007

Social Security Administration - Technology

It is amazing how poor the Social Security Administration web site and support are. It is no wonder we have a problem with identity theft in this country. I was trying to register for their online system to submit information for my company - W2 forms, etc. - and it doesn't recognize the information I am inputting - which is correct - and which matches the document they sent to me. The only thing I can figure out is that they don't have my correct birth date perhaps. Everything else is matching up.

The person on the phone was very non-technical and told me to call some technical support number if I get stuck again. I think someone needs to definitely review this web site and the security around it. It would probably be a good idea for someone to read the security patterns book mentioned in previous posts here.

Additionally they could at least install and SSL certificate on the main site so you can verify that you are at the official social security web site.