Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Stock Price Manipulation

A while back I posed the idea of manipulating stocks somehow using Internet technologies to affect prices and make a profit. Some people scoffed at me and told me how difficult this would be based on how many people would need to be involved to make this happen.

Here's proof that it can be done and something to watch out for:
Internet stock scam

Recently Real Networks has claimed that their stock price was manipulated possibly by hackers or Internet scam artists in China.

So call it a silly idea but there's a reason you've seen all that stock spam in your inbox.

I haven't done the math to see what it would take to get enough people to buy in to affect the price of a stock. I'm sure it depends on the stock and a lot of other factors. Just pondering the possibility.