Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Serve-U hack?

I was running a trial of Serve-U Corporate edition. At the end of thirty days it turns to the personal edition.

Coincidentally I started to have a bunch of problems on my machine around that same time. See two posts prior.

I reported the problem with dllhost.exe to my hosting provider.

Then suddenly my ftp software stopped working. It said the executable was missing. I tried reinstalling. No dice. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the thing and now it works again.

There are various things you can do to lock it down like restricting IP access, etc so I tried that.

I don't know if this is all coincidental but I started having all these problems at the same time which I mentioned in previous posts:

- cannot access admin portal for Datapipe in Mozilla
- email bounce backs show spam from my domain names (working on spf records now)
- ftp server is hosed and have to reinstall
- web server using 100% of cpu and supposedly reboots itself while hosting techs are looking at it (hmm)
- web sites and/or local network is dog slow upon occasion - sometimes so slow images don't load at all from my web server
- dllhost.exe running on my box when supposedly dcom is locked down and all IIS services are disabled
- IIS service accounts have been re-enabled

I only report what I see....I am making no conclusions here until I pin down what is going on.