Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Kernel bugs & vulnerabilities

Which OS has the most hacks -- and the most alarming hacks or bugs?

This month that topic is being explored by some developers on this web site with contributions accepted from other developers around the world:

Kernel Bugs

The scariest one to me so far is the GDI bug on windows that allows escalation of privileges to take over a machine. Not good and no fix available yet supposedly.

Also interesting are the tools used to find these bugs. Aren't the developers building this software familiar with and testing their software with these tools for such a critical piece of functionality such as an operating system kernel?

Yeah I might not be using them for my code but I don't have the whole world relying on the securty of my software as these vendors do.